My apologies for the inconsistent nature of my posts this past last week. We’ve had a death in our family, so things have been very difficult.
Despite that, I do have a little something to share. Birthdays are coming and the sewing must go on.
I looked high and low for 1930′s dress patterns for Kit and Ruthie, my girl’s American Girl Dolls… there were few options available, and none filled the bill. The next best option was to start with a simple pattern and modify.
I chose Simplicity Pattern 4364. Given a choice, I always go with Simplicity, since their patterns seem to speak my language. They are usually straightforward and easy to follow.
The first challenge to modifying the pattern was to add a scalloped collar. I started with the collar that belonged to the jacket on the pattern. I scaled it to work with the dress with the opening in the back and then used a my shot glass measuring cup as a round template for the scallops. It’s not perfect, but it worked. Adding the collar meant changing the way the bodice was put together, and luckily it came together easily.
Next I had to add straight sleeves with a cuff. Again I modified the sleeves from the jacket pattern. Adding the cuff was as easy as adding as binding. The buttons I still need to sew on, but I think it looks sweet on the cuff.
Next steps for me will be to add the belts… the one you see in the picture is just laid across but not sewn on. I also need to add embellishments. The devil is in the details, and I am headed to JoAnn’s today to look for tiny buttons or maybe a tiny buckle (in my dreams) to add to the dresses. I kind of liked the way the little pompoms looked on the collar, so I may try to tack that on after the fact.
I also thought the little ribbon flower looked darling on the green dress, so if I went that direction, I would need to find a match for the other dresses.
Decisions, decisions. I keep telling myself, less will probably end up being more in the end.
Today I am hoping to work on the “look like me” versions to fit my girls… if I have time. The best laid plans have gone awry this week, so wish me luck in getting them finished. I do have a little hope since my pattern is an “It’s so Easy” Simplicity Pattern. I certainly hope it’s true. Again it’s all the changes to the pattern, like adding cuffs and a collar that will challenge me… and take time.
This week has been a roller coaster ride of emotion… and I thought I would leave you with a quote I’ve been thinking about.
It rings true with a crystal clarity for me this week.