Posts Tagged ‘peppermint popcorn recipe’
This gift idea that doesn’t cost much and is so easy to make. It’s Peppermint Popcorn. After receiving a bag for Christmas last year, my husband asked me to figure out how to make it. I took the recipe for White Chocolate Popcorn, and simply added the crushed candy cane… and the result was festive and very yummy.
Here’s the recipe:
- 1/2 cup unpopped popcorn (approx. 16 cups popped depending on your popcorn and popper)
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy canes
- a dash of salt
- popcorn may be lightly buttered if desired
1. Start by popping 1/2 cup of popcorn. I use an air popper and 1/2 cup is the size of my measuring cup on the lid. This makes approximately 16 cups of plain popped popcorn.
2. Place peppermint candy canes or candies into a ziplock bag and using a rolling pin (or the like) finely crush. This is a great activity if you have any pent up frustrations…
3. In a heat proof bowl, carefully melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds to prevent scorching. It took 1 1/2 minutes in my microwave.
4. In a very large bowl (I was wishing mine was bigger!) start drizzling the white chocolate evenly over the popcorn, then quickly sprinkle the crushed candy, and a dash of salt over the popcorn and stir vigorously to evenly coat all the popcorn before the chocolate starts to set up.
5. Once it is evenly coated, turn the popcorn out onto waxed paper in a thin layer and allow to cool.
6. When the popcorn is completely cool and dry, brake up into small pieces.
7. Now it’s ready to be put into bags or eaten (my preference.)
I used a cellophane gift sack, which is the most economical way to package your popcorn. But you could use a fun tin, gift box or colored Chinese take out box.