Alice: [curtsying] Yes, Your Majesty, but I just wanted to ask you…
Queen of Hearts: I’ll ask the questions! Do you play croquet?
Alice: Why, yes, Your Majesty. Queen of Hearts: Then let the game begin!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
My husband received a croquet set for Father’s Day this year.
It was Emma’s idea. She played croquet in the last week of school and fell in love. That day she came home and asked when Father’s Day was. “In June.” I said. “I have the perfect gift to give daddy,” she said, “croquet… I just know daddy would love it.”
She was right.
My husband grew up playing croquet with his family in their large, shady backyard. He has fond memories of their competitive games…. and he couldn’t have been more thrilled when he opened his gift. We lost no time getting out into the yard and setting up a game. If you haven’t played in a while, let me remind you what an absolute riot it can be.
There are a few things I’ve realized since we’ve gotten our croquet game:
- We are a competitive bunch.
- My husband has a vendetta against me…. he takes every opportunity to knock me off course.
- My son is gallant. He takes every opportunity to defend me. And to knock his dad of course. It warms my heart.
- Emma is a natural at croquet… she can really hit the ball for such a little lady.
- Lily is hysterical to watch. She hits the side of the mallet more often than not, but she does it with great flair.
- Laughing and playing as a family is priceless.
- I hate playing poison. Especially since my husband is a better shot than me.
If you’re looking for some outdoor fun this summer, it doesn’t get any better than a game of croquet.