Last night’s dinner was Marinated Grilled Chicken, Roasted Finger Potatoes, and Roasted Asparagus with Pinenuts. It was delicious. Lucky for me we had both potatoes and asparagus left over. Just what I needed for a fast and hearty breakfast Frittata. Well, it guess it doesn’t always have to be luck, I could PLAN ahead and make extra. I do try that sometimes.
Have you ever tried Finger Potatoes before? We hadn’t. We just picked them up at Costco. They tasted lot like a Yukon Gold Potatoes and I really liked them. The Costco Finger Potatoes also came with Purple Potatoes in the bag. Even the flesh of the potato was purple. I was excited to try them. They definitely had a very different flavor and I’m still not sure I liked them. They did look really cool, but my kids turned their noses up at them, so I kept them out of the Frittata.
To make the Frittata:
1. Dice 1/2 of a medium onion.
2. Dice the cooked potatoes into ½ cubes.
3. Dice up the roasted asparagus (Actually you can use anything you like here; mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, sausage, bacon, you get the idea…I had left over asparagus and we all love it, so that is what I used.)
4. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs really well with a splash of milk. Add salt and pepper. How many eggs to use is a judgment call. For my family of five and about three cups of potatoes, I used six large eggs. The good news is you can’t go too far wrong here.
5. In an oven-proof sauté pan (a seasoned cast iron sauté pan is cheap and supposed to be the best for Frittatas, but I don’t have one and my pan works great too), add butter (or a mixture of olive oil and butter) and sauté the onion until golden. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Add the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Cook until the potatoes are turning golden.
8. Add the asparagus and toss a few times to warm the asparagus.
9. Pour the egg mixture over the veggies.
10. Sprinkle cheese of your choice (I used sharp cheddar.)
11. Place the dish under the broiler (second shelf down) for a few minutes until the eggs are set and the top is golden brown
12. Cut it like a pie and serve.
It was so easy and really good! I love not wasting left-overs or my time. This Frittata also makes a quick dinner as well, just serve it with a salad. Try it and let me know what you think. Thanks Dad for the recipe.